Family Law/Child Support/Adoption/Divorce

Family Law cases include Dissolution of Marriage (divorce), Annulment, Name Change, Adoption, Delayed Birth Certificates, Child Support, Custody, Paternity and Alimony. The above listed are the most common filings and not inclusive of all matters.

Family Law FAQs

What are my options for obtaining customer service from the Clerk's office?

Mail: P.O. Box 3360, Tampa, FL 33601-3360
Email: Contact us
Phone: (813) 276-8100
In person: Downtown TampaPlant City, Brandon, Ruskin (Southshore). See wait times.

How do I view a Family Law file?

Electronic viewing of many court records, indexes and dockets as well as non-confidential document images is currently available on our Hillsborough Online Viewing of Electronic Records (HOVER) site, as authorized by the Florida Supreme Court. Pursuant to Florida Rules of Judicial Administration, access to all electronic and other court records shall be governed by the Standards for Access to Electronic Court Records and Access Security Matrix. At this time Civil Sexual Violence Injunction Cases are not searchable/viewable through HOVER; the case progress dockets are available through this link.

If you are authorized under Florida Rules of Judicial Administration to view a court file but are unable to view it online and/or you need a copy, you may view or pick up a copy of the file at our Tampa Edgecomb or Plant City locations. To allow adequate time for redaction processing, it may take four business days for your file to be available for on-site viewing and/or pick-up. We suggest that you pre-order the file for onsite viewing or pick-up by completing the Order Form for Family Law files.

Where can I obtain blank forms to use in filing for divorce, name change, or custody cases or any other matters associated with Family Law?

You may obtain blank forms for a fee at the Court Business Center located on the 6th floor of the George E. Edgecomb Courthouse. If you have access to a computer and printer, you may download and print free copies of blank forms by clicking here.

How do I file for a divorce or get an annulment?

The Divorce and Annulment page has information on how to file for a divorce and how to get an annulment

How do I file for emancipation?

Emancipation, also known as Removal of Disabilities of Nonage on Minors, is the act by which a minor gains all privileges as an adult. The Clerk does not provide the paperwork to file such a case. You should either contact an attorney or refer to the Florida Statute 743 for information on what to include in the petition. These types of cases are filed in the Family Law Department. 

How do I get a copy of my final judgment, and how much is it?

  • Go to  and follow the instructions provided there;
  • Mail your request, along with your payment, to Clerk of Court, PO Box 3360, Tampa, FL 33601-3360.  
    • We charge $1.00 per page of the order and an additional $2.00 if you need the document to be certified.
    • Please make a check or money order payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court and include a self-addressed stamped envelope along with your request. 
  • In person.

How do I get a copy of my final Judgment if my case is sealed? (Example: adoption or termination of parental rights)

In order to obtain copies of a sealed order you must do one of the following:

  • The attorney of record for the petitioner or a pro se litigant with proper ID can come to the office and request copies from the court file.
  • You can download a Petition and Order, requesting the Judge to allow you to obtain copies from your sealed case. There is a $50.00 filing fee to file this motion.

Once you have your Order please get as many copies you may need at that time. Once the file is re-sealed you must re-petition the court to obtain more copies.


How do I find out if I have a court date coming up?

You can follow your case online from our website. You will be able to track all documents filed in your case as well as the Notice of Hearing.

What is the Central Governmental Depository?

The Central Governmental Depository (CGD) is responsible for maintaining support accounts. The term support can be defined as child support, alimony, and monies owed to the State of Florida Department of Revenue for government assistance. The depository keeps the official record of all support activity in these types of cases.

The CGD can receipt support payments, purge payments, and fees associated with support cases.  Additionally, the CGD can accept pleadings for filing, answer questions regarding support, and sell copies of payment histories. The Depository processes all court orders when support has been ordered payable through the Court.

How do I start getting child support?

Either contact an attorney or the Department of Revenue – Child Support Enforcement at 1-850-488-KIDS(5437). You can also research the Florida Statutes for more information. Forms can be purchased from the Court Business Center located on the 6th floor of the Edgecomb Courthouse or you may download and print free copies of blank forms from this website by clicking here

I have not received my court ordered support, what can I do?

When the non-custodial parent (obligor) is delinquent on payments, the CGD issues a delinquency letter. The obligor has 15 days to respond to the delinquency notice or pay the full amount owed. If there is no response or payment, a judgment will be recorded in the public record . The judgment can act as a lien by operation of law. Interest is charged on all judgments at a rate determined by the Florida Department of Financial Services . Florida Statutes 55.03(1).

On non-Title IVD cases (those not handled by the Department of Revenue ) the custodial parent (obligee) may file a Request to Suspend Driver’s License and Motor Vehicle Registration through the Clerk’s Office when the obligor is 15 days delinquent. The Clerk will then send a Notice of Driver’s License Suspension to the obligor at the last address on record with the Department of Motor Vehicles. If there is no response to the Notice within 20 days, the Clerk’s Office will send a request electronically to the DMV to suspend the obligor's driver’s license. 

How can I pay my court ordered support?

Court-ordered support can be mailed, paid at the Clerk’s office, or online.  Payments made at the Clerk’s Office may only be paid by cash or certified funds made payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. All other payment forms should be mailed to the State Disbursement Unit in Tallahassee. The Request for Direct Deposit form is available

here. For Title IVD cases, contact the Department of Revenue for payment options at 1-850-488-KIDS(5437).

Is there a fee charged for alimony or child support payments?

Fees are charged for Non IV-D (those not handled by Department of Revenue) payments. The fee for a Non IV-D alimony or child support payment is 4% of the court ordered amount, but not more than $5.25.

How do I get my driver’s license back if it is suspended for child support?

If your case is enforced through the Department of Revenue (DOR), you will need to contact DOR at 1-850-488-KIDS(5437). 
If the Driver’s License suspension was initiated by the petitioner and your case is not enforced through DOR, you will need to come to the Clerk’s office and pay the delinquency in full. This includes all delinquent back child support, clerk's fees, delinquency fees, etc. Once all fees have been paid you will be given a form to take to the DMV to reinstate your license.

I have a judgment against me for Child Support, what is that and how do I take care of it?

For a child support request, you can request a payoff statement in writing or at the courthouse at 800 E. Twiggs Street, Room 101.  There is a fee of $25.00 for the payoff statement pursuant to Florida Statute 61.14(6)(f)1 . The fee must be received prior to the calculation of the payoff. Once the payoff statement is calculated, you must pay off the total amount due before a Satisfaction can be issued and recorded in the public record.

How do I get a copy of my payment history?

  • Payment Histories cost $2.00 per year requested. There is an additional $2.00 charge to have the Payment History certified.
  • You can obtain a copy of your payment history by mailing your request along with a check or money order made payable to the Clerk of Circuit Court or by visiting one of our Clerk locations.

I received a delinquency notice saying I am behind on my child support payments. I believe that my case is current. Why did I receive this notice and how should I proceed?

In order for a Notice of Delinquency to be issued, the depository records of the Clerk of the Court must reflect that a payment is more than 15 days late and the delinquency amount is greater than the periodic payment amount. If you feel the Notice of Delinquency was issued in error, you may file a motion to contest within 15 days from the mailing of the delinquency notice. You are eligible to file this response if you believe it is a case of mistaken identity or if you do not agree with the balance. See Florida Statute 61.14(c).  There are a number of reasons why the depository records may not coincide with yours.

  • You have made payments directly to the custodial parent after the court ordered payments through the depository. Direct payments can be considered a gift and you may not be given the credit.
  • You did not realize that you were responsible for making the payments until your employer started the deductions. Your employer has two weeks from the time they receive the court order until they have to start the deductions. That also applies when you change jobs. You must make the payments until your new employer starts deducting it from your check.
  • There may be a change in circumstances that the depository is not aware of, such as a change in custody or the emancipation of a child. Always make the depository aware of any new court orders that affect your support payments.
  • A payment has been remitted to the State Disbursement Unit but it is not posted on the depository records. Under these conditions the depository will request that the State Disbursement Unit research the payment. The Notice of Delinquency will be put on hold until the research has been completed. If speaking with the depository has not resolved the issue, you can contest the Notice of Delinquency and have a hearing before the judge assigned to your case. 
  • You can download the Motion to Contest Delinquency package with instructions and necessary forms.
    • Please keep in mind that your motion to contest must be filed within 15 days of the date of the Notice of Delinquency. If it is not filed and your case still reflects a delinquent balance, a Judgment by Operation of Law will be entered into the public records.


What are the fees associated with this service?

SeeSee Family Law Fees for more information. and Child Support Fees for more information.