What is Property Fraud?
Property and mortgage fraud is the fastest growing white-collar crime in the United States, according to the FBI. Scammers file fake deeds, making it appear as if they own homes that are not actually theirs. These scammers then trick people into giving them money to rent or buy those homes.
Read the Tampa Bay Times article concerning mortgage fraud.
Property Fraud Alert is a free service to help you protect your property from fraud by monitoring the documents being recorded in the Official Records of the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
By signing up for FREE property fraud alerts, you will receive notification by email or telephone whenever a document is recorded in Hillsborough County using your name or your business’s name. If you receive an alert about activity not initiated by you, this early notification can provide valuable time to stop criminals in their tracks. Reviewing your property records is an important way to protect yourself from fraud. I encourage you to sign up today and take advantage of this free service.
Sign up for the FREE Property Fraud Alert now.
How to Sign Up
Signing up is quick and easy! Simply follow these steps:
- Online go to Property Fraud Alert or call 800-728-3858.
- Click ‘Continue’ to begin the registration process.
- Choose whether you would like to monitor a person’s name or a business name.
- Enter the name you would like to monitor.
- Enter either an email address or telephone number where you would like to be alerted.
Note: Repeat the process to monitor additional names. If you entered an email address, you will receive a confirmation message.
If You Receive an Alert
- If a document is recorded that matches your monitoring criteria, you will receive an alert within 48 hours.
- The alert will provide you with an instrument number, which is the Clerk's File Number or CFN.
- Search the online Official Records to view the actual document. To search using the Instrument Number, choose the Instrument # in the upper left corner of the page and enter the instrument number from your Property Fraud Alert.
- For assistance, please contact the Clerk’s Recording Department at 813.276.2029 x 4367.
- If you suspect you are a victim of fraud, contact law enforcement.
As your Clerk, I urge you to monitor public records filed using your name, because it is an important way to protect yourself from fraud. Don't delay, sign up today!
To Change or Cancel your Property Fraud Alerts Subscription
- Please call 1-800-728-3858