Who Can Perform Marriage Ceremonies?

IMAGE 2 Good Forgivers Quote


Who can legally perform a marriage ceremony in Florida?

The following persons can perform a marriage ceremony in the state of Florida: 

  • All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel, elders in communion with a church, or other ordained clergy.
  • A minister who has been recognized in the manner required by the regulations of the respective denomination to perform marriage ceremonies.
  • All Florida judicial officers, including retired judicial officers.
  • Public notaries of the State of Florida. Florida notaries can download information on their duties when performing marriages here.
  • "Quakers" or "Friends," may perform marriages in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies.
  • Captains of a ship, if the captain is a notary and the ship is in Florida waters, which is within three geographic miles from the coastline at the time of the ceremony.
  • Clerks of the Circuit Court: Deputy clerks are authorized and available during normal working hours, Monday through Friday, to perform ceremonies at Clerk locations in Plant City, Brandon and Downtown Tampa. Appointments are not required. The fee for this service is $30.00. 

Return the completed record of marriage to: Marriage Department, Hillsborough County Clerk of Court, PO Box 3249, Tampa FL 33601-3249

Can I schedule an appointment for the Clerk to marry me?

Yes, you can schedule an appointment. However appointments are not required, walk-ins are always welcome.  Marriage ceremonies are performed at the Downtown Tampa, Brandon and Plant City Official Records locations.

What are the requirements for being ordained, so that a person can officiate a marriage?

The Clerk's office does not have anything to do with the ordainment process and does not determine the legality of an officiant. The officiant does not register with the Clerk's office prior to performing a marriage. To determine if you can legally perform a marriage in Florida, refer to Florida State Statute 741.07 or consult with an attorney.